Student Association Guidelines
Getting Started/Getting Approval
Any currently enrolled SHSS student may request to start a club. For a club to be an official Student Registered Organization (SRO) and be recognized by the SHSS SGA, the following conditions must be met:
- The SRO must have at least one faculty or staff advisor who is a current full-time member of the SHSS faculty or professional staff.
- The SRO must have an SHSS student leader.
- The SRO should maintain a membership of at least seven students who are currently enrolled in SHSS programs. The leader of the SRO must submit a Club Membership Form listing the current members.
- The SRO's stated purpose must not be subversive to the United States of America, the state of Florida, Nova Southeastern University, or the Graduate School of Humanities & Social Sciences.
- The SRO must comply with the nondiscrimination policy set forth by Title IX.
- The SRO should not serve a similar function as the SHSS SGA.
- A SRO must operate under a constitution that is approved by the University. The constitution should be created after the club is approved. For a club to be considered for approval, a Mission Statement must be submitted to the Vice President of the SHSS Student Association. The Mission Statement should explain the purpose of the club.
After a Club Has Been Approved
Within one month of approval, the club must submit the following:
- The club must submit a constitution that includes the following:
- mission statement
- rules and guidelines by which the club will operate
- immediate goals/objectives of the club
- roles and responsibilities of the members
At this point, the club will be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) for approval and classification as a Student Recognized Organization (SRO).
A SRO can request funds for activities such as advertising, club functions, and sponsoring an event promoted by their organization, to name a few. In order for a club to receive funds, a written description of the event should be submitted to the Vice President of the SHSS Student Association 2 weeks in advance. The Vice president will present the request to the officers of the Student Association for approval. A SRO will be reimbursed up to $100 per academic year for pre-approved events.